Friday, December 30, 2005

Begging

Everywhere you go in this world, you can find people begging for food or money. I was in the United Kingdom few months back, and stayed in a place called Wood Green. We rented an apartment there as it was cheaper for I had my whole family with me. Wood Green is a nice place, all my family members liked it very much. What I was shocked was to have come across some beggers comming around the apartment. They come to the apartment door and said, " Please sir, can you spare 50 p for the homeless". Being foriegners we were afraid. We just said "Sorry", and closed the door. There was another incident when I was in a bus with my family, a young lady approached me and asked me, "Can you spare a Pound sir, I have not eaten the whole day". I was shocked, but I gave her one pound because I could see that she didn't look good. I guess this is all due to hardship.
A few years back in New Delhi, India, I was also shocked when I got down from the train from Madras. It was night, I don't remember the time, I could see a lot of people sleeping all over the railway station. They were sleeping on the floor and the benches. No way can you find a spot to sit, its all occupied. While we were going out to get a taxi, there were a stream of kids chasing after us with thier hands reaching out asking for money. A friend accompanying us told us not to give anything, because it will attract the others and we'll have a big crowd to handle. I manage to give to some of them when I was about to get on the taxi, or is it a tootut. Anyway it was a three wheeler covered motor cycle. We stayed at a place called Ceylon House, since one of our friend was a Ceylonese [Sri Lankan] and he could get us rooms there. Cheap of course. I stayed in Delhi for 3 days and I see beggers almost every corner. I guess I can understand, India being over populated and there are so many people unemployed.
I mention these two places because I personally experienced these incidents. I guess begging is seen everywhere in the world.
Here in Malaysia there are a number of them too. They will be at the Mosques every Friday, at the 'pasar malam' , parking lots and at eating spots at night. Some of them are crippled and some are blind being led by a child. Its a pity sight to see .
My intention of writtng this article is because I feel sad to see all these unfortunate people being neglected. First of all by their own families and secondly by the authorities. Come to think of it, it is more a family responsibility. What happens to 'Charity begins at home'. In Islam the rich must take care of the poor. Begining from the immediate family, than relatives , friends, neighbours and the community. If every family practice this principle, there will hardly be any beggers on the street.
I hearby appeal to all the people of the world to get in contact with their family members who are in need. Help them, feed them make them a useful human being.
The authorities should also step in to those who have nobody to turn to. Put them in shelters.
This will make the world a better place for everybody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home